[Dragaera] (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons]

Jose Marquez jhereg69 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 23:24:31 PDT 2006

tom sausman wrote:

>> I doubt it is part of the 17 Great (Morganti, and therefore
>> Serioli-created) Weapons
>>
>            A lot of things:
>                                     The Serioli created Morganti
> weapons to stop interal fighting,but at the same time to kill the
> "gods" Which one is correct?
I would trust Sethra's account (created to oppose the gods) more than
Kragar's (created to stop internal fighting). Kragar's sound like an
apocryphal story, although cessation of internecine fighting could have
been a side effect of the Serioli agenda against the gods. Or perhaps
they stopped fighting each other once they saw the common enemy, the
gods, and *then* started making Morganti weapons. But really, only Steve
knows...
>                                      The Serioli created Morganti
> weapons to kill the "gods" the gods, can be killed by the more
> powerful ones, the gods destory the more powerful ones. The question
> is if the fighting stop between tribes of the Serioli and only the
> "17" kill gods why make so many? ( Morrolan and Braitt just for
> examples have whole rooms full ) Also why don't they desoryed them,
> themselfs? ( the Serioli are rarer than the Cat-Centurs, you know what
> I mean)
Maybe the gods can be overwhelmed by large numbers of Morganti-armed
Serioli. I don't know if we'll see a Serioli wielding a Great Weapon (so
far it's 4 Dragaerans and an Easterner); perhaps the side-effect of
making them more powerful and more sentient than the ordinary Morganti
weapon is that the weapon gets to choose the wielder, and for some
cosmic irony, the weapons never choose their makers...
>                                       If only the GW have a
> predominant souls, couldn't the Serioli just make more GW or even
> someone just as powerful, Sethra should know how to, after all she
> knew about Godslayer.
They might be able to, but the number of super-sentient weapons (Great
Weapons) may be constrained by fate or destiny (i.e., the Cycle). That
is, they keep trying to make the mother of all Great Weapons, but since
there are 17, instead they end up making the inferior quality
standard-issue Morganti weapons. Thus explaining the glut. I suspect
that there are wizards who know how to make Morganti weapons. But the
Cycle might thwart the creation of new Great Weapons outside of the 17.
If any Dragaeran knows how to make Great Weapons or Morganti weapons, it
would have to be Sethra.

Jose

--
Jose Marquez             | There are 10 types of people in
jhereg69 at earthlink.net   | the world: those who understand