[Dragaera] [Dzur spoiler] [Orca spoiler] Possible crack in the orb & Aliera's personality

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 08:34:18 PDT 2006

Philip Hart wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Jose Marquez wrote:
>

>> Spoiler space for Orca
>>
>> Because
>> Some
>> May
>> Not
>> Have
>> Read
>> It
>> But
>> They
>> Really
>> Should
>> Get
>> Around
>> It
>> Because
>> It is very good
>>

> More importantly, S and K may as best they can behave as if there's
> a Chinese wall between them.  I imagine there was some complex
> Kabuki behind the passing of the gem info.

Well, we see that in chapter 3 of /Dzur/, where Vlad asks to speak to
Kiera... Then after she leaves he has a very similar (but different)
talk about things with Sethra.

But they're both the same person--why should he bother with this charade?

Well, because he knows that she will answer the questions differently
depending on what guise she is in, and the only way for Vlad to get at
everything she knows is to ask both her personas separately.

This is also a case of Vlad being sensitive to Sethra's personality
quirks. A less patient individual might have just insisted that Sethra
tell him everything that Kiera knows, right now, none of this
"two-people" bullshit. (This is probably how Vlad would have reacted
when he was younger... but he has matured.)

I loved that scene.