[Dragaera] [Tangent] Great age (Sethra vs. Malazan)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:43:14 PDT 2006

On 8/12/06, Jose Marquez <jhereg69 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Forgive me; I am unfamiliar with Fukuyama and the End of History. Could
> you summarize?

After the fall of the Soviet Union, Fukayama wrote an analysis
concluding that all viable alternatives to western liberalism had been
exhausted, and that the story was over: the West had won. Some details
remained to be worked out, but the triumph of western liberalism (not
in the red/blue sense) was now inevitable. There are no "fundamental
'contradictions' in human life that cannot be resolved in the context
of modern liberalism, that would be resolvable by an alternative
political-economic structure." Not to say that there won't be
headlines, but there are no more crucial turning points: the end of
history.

I get the sense that this view of ideological progression is strongly
connected to ideas about the Hegelian dialectic; those more literate
than I in political philosophy may wish to comment.
http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm

> I agree with you on Sethra's age. I can almost imagine how being that
> old, you really are more mountain than human (Dragaeran).

I like this way of putting it.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are,