[Dragaera] [Tangent] Great age (Sethra vs. Malazan)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 14 00:02:49 PDT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> On 8/12/06, Jose Marquez <jhereg69 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Forgive me; I am unfamiliar with Fukuyama and the End of History. Could
> > you summarize?

[good stuff snipped]

Just wanted to add a few comments:

Fukuyama is widely seen as a very smart guy.  The thesis in question
is a very post-Cold-War-pre-2001/11/9 one and quite influential.  (I
think it misses or rather missed the nuclear proliferation problem
which I fear may lead to Adronic history-making.  Then of course there's
the Singularity if one leans that way.)  He was briefly associated
with the smarter neo-cons but is now more an iconoclastic conservative
espousing some basically liberal ideas.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_History_and_the_Last_Man
and
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/magazine/neo.html
for more info and some of his recent thinking.