[Dragaera] Dzur spoilers - 17 thoughts

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 14:21:42 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 8/12/06, Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/12/06, Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A one, a two, a...
>>> 1
>>> 2
>>> 3
>>> 4
>>> 5
>>> 6
>>> 7
>>> 8
>>> 9
>>> 10
>>> 11
>>> 12
>>> 13
>>> 14
>>> 15
>>> 16
>>> 17
>>>
>>> Was Vlad just slightly more courteous to people than he would have
>>> been normally?  I'll have to try and look for that on my re-read,
>>> although I note that there's a point when he has a chance to mouth off
>>> to Aliera, and stops himself.
>>>
>> You mean aside from the overt occasions where he's about to say
>> something rude and Teldra stops him?
>>

> Was it overt, though?  From what I recall and notice, there's just
> points where he starts to go one way, then changes his mind.  Since he
> never says *why* he changes his mind, it is ambiguous whether it is
> because of LT.
>
> And even then, I am wondering if he changes his mind because LT is
> having an unconcious influence on him, or because touching her hilt
> comforts and calms him, thus causing him to be less snappy, or because
> that sense of comfort reminds him of his conversations with Teldra
> when she still lived, and he conciously strives to modify his own
> behaviour in order to honor and emulate her (that is, doing what she
> might have advised him to do were she there with him in real life).
> Or perhaps some combination of all of the above.

I fail to see any significant distinction here. Does it matter *how*
Teldra influences his behavior?
>>  only been
>> gone for three years?  My sense of it is that it was longer.
>>

> Vlad's sense of time can be rather weak and vague.  There are more
> than a couple of instances in the various books of this.

It's rather vague how long Vlad's been wandering, but if you leave about
a year after Phoenix for /Athyra/ (Does Vlad talk about the
unpleasantness in Adrilankha that happened "lasy year"?) then another
year until /Orca/ (Spent "most of a year" trying to find a healer for
Savn) then about another year until /Issola/ (left Savn at home "several
months" earlier) then we get about 3 years between /Phoenix/ and
/Issola/. And parts of /Issola/ and /Dzur/ happen on the same day as one
another. (Though, we know the events of /Issola/ take several weeks in
Dragaeran time, since it runs differently in the Jenoine's Place.)

Alexx's timeline might have a better accounting of this than I do.