[Dragaera] Dzur spoilers - 17 thoughts

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 21:10:37 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:

>> I suspect chronic indigestion is Jhereg code for poison.
>>

> Possibly.
>
> Kiera asserts that the death was not arranged, but this does not
> assuage my suspicions.

Personally, I am inclined to believe her completely on this point, as
she is in a position to know, and Vlad has her clarify it pretty precisely.

This strikes me as one of the type of things SKZB likes to do to keep
his stories feeling "real".

In real life, people can die at random times, and for random reasons.
Not every death of a powerful person is going to be some elaborate
assassination. Sometimes people just die. Life can be like that.

To me, this is an example of our author attempting to insert some of
life's randomness into the story to make it feel more real. I appreciate
this sort of thing, since it's effective. I suspect the same sort of
motivation may be behind the death of Curithne, also. No deep, obscure
conspiracy of powerful figures working shadowy plots in the back rooms
of seedy inns. Just some poor slob choking to death on a fish-bone,
because it was his misfortune to order the "surf" and not the "turf".