[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler][Orca Spoiler] A slip of the tongue...

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Aug 15 15:10:56 PDT 2006

"Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/15/06 02:23 PM

"'Dragaera List'" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler][Orca Spoiler] A slip of the tongue...

>Come
>gather
>round
>you
>people
>and
>this
>story
>I will
>tell,
>about
>the
>outlaw
>called
>The Blue Fox.
>Mistyvale
>knew
>him
>well.
>
>>Really, this just looks like an inadvertant implication based on
sentence
>>structures... Which is too bad, since it seems to tell us something
rather
>>important about Sethra. (That she considers herself a Dragonlord.)
>
>Not to be nitpicky, but it would only tell you something important about
>Kiera. Namely, that she joined the Jhereg after leaving House Dragon,
much
>like Kragar and undoubtedly many others. Kiera goes to the trouble of
saying
>"I think Sethra would say this..." when speaking of Sethra. If we're to
>assume, against Steve's wishes, that it's a specific rather than a
general
>"our" then Kiera is still the subject of the sentence, not Sethra.

You're right. What we didn't just learn about Kiera is much greater than
what we didn't just learn about Sethra.

>In point of fact, I'd imagine that House Jhereg ended up recruiting a
rather
>large number of individuals from other Houses during the Interregnum as a
>result of the general social chaos. Imagine Khaavren's predicament if he
had
>survived the destruction of Dragaera city but his friends and fiance had
>not. No home, no title (or at least an empty one), no family, no lands,
no
>job, no future. As a clever fellow with a sense of honor, he probably
would
>have found some employment eventually, but someone just as clever with a
bit
>less honor might well be tempted into joining the local criminal gang
>instead.

Interesting angle. Add to this the fact that House Jhereg undoubtably
gathered greater strength during the Interregnum than the other houses
(due to general lawlessness) and it makes sense how the House recovered so
quickly from the unpleasantness.