[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler][Orca Spoiler] A slip of the tongue...

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Aug 15 14:23:47 PDT 2006

Come
gather
round
you
people
and
this
story
I will
tell,
about
the
outlaw
called
The Blue Fox.
Mistyvale
knew
him
well.

>Really, this just looks like an inadvertant implication based on sentence
>structures... Which is too bad, since it seems to tell us something rather
>important about Sethra. (That she considers herself a Dragonlord.)

Not to be nitpicky, but it would only tell you something important about
Kiera. Namely, that she joined the Jhereg after leaving House Dragon, much
like Kragar and undoubtedly many others. Kiera goes to the trouble of saying
"I think Sethra would say this..." when speaking of Sethra. If we're to
assume, against Steve's wishes, that it's a specific rather than a general
"our" then Kiera is still the subject of the sentence, not Sethra.

In point of fact, I'd imagine that House Jhereg ended up recruiting a rather
large number of individuals from other Houses during the Interregnum as a
result of the general social chaos. Imagine Khaavren's predicament if he had
survived the destruction of Dragaera city but his friends and fiance had
not. No home, no title (or at least an empty one), no family, no lands, no
job, no future. As a clever fellow with a sense of honor, he probably would
have found some employment eventually, but someone just as clever with a bit
less honor might well be tempted into joining the local criminal gang
instead.