[Dragaera] Ardon's Keep

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Aug 18 10:16:56 PDT 2006

>Why is this?   I don't recall anything limiting how one can get there.
>It's sort of like saying there's only two ways to get to Canada.

>Why can't one sail to the East?

To be fair, I think that one of the books may have remarked something about
how there are paths here and there but the only ways through the mountains
that could be considered "roads" go around the northern and southern
foothills of the Eastern Mountains. Miklos may have been using one such
footpath through the mountains on his way home, though it's been so many
years since I lost my copy of _Brokedown Palace_ that I can't really say for
sure now.

Sailing to the East is problemmatical due to the unusual geography of
Dragaera. The Great Sea of Chaos blocks travel to the north, while the
Maelstrom blocks travel to the south. (I had actually thought the Maelstrom
was West, but the Lyorn Records entry suggests otherwise.) Sailing west
would require a Dragaeran Magelllan who was curious enough to make the
journey and overcome whatever unknown obstacles lie in the way. So far,
nobody seems to have bothered. Unlike Terra, where the East held spices and
presumed gold to entice explorers, all that the East holds for the
Dragaerans is a lot of Easterners.

As far as that goes, I'm not entirely certain that Dragaerans realize the
world is round. Paarfi probably has something to say on the matter if one
digs around in the Khaavren Romances.