[Dragaera] Adron's Keep (Was Ardon's Keep)

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 15:13:52 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 8/18/06, Scott wrote:
>
>>>                When Morrolan returned home he got his land, but what
>>> about Aliera's Keep-to-be, did it go under during the Interengum ( you
>>> know what I am trying to spell ) ?
>>>
>> Given that Steve hasn't written anything about the current status of
>> Redface, we can only speculate.
>>

>> So, some possibilities:
>>
>>  2) Adron had no children (Aliera being presumed dead) and no living
>> relations of any provable merit, so the lands reverted to the Empire.
>>

> Morrolan e'Drien is Adron's sister's son.  It's reasonable to
> speculate that he was granted the Duchy of Eastmanswatch as an
> inheritance.

Ah, but wasn't Redface granted to a specific Dragonlord by the Emperor
himself, since it was so critical to the defense of the Eastern Empire?
(Am trying to recall the specific description from The Phoenix Guards,
but I can't find the reference right now...)

Thus, it wouldn't necessarily be inherited by anyone of the same
lineage--in fact, given Adron's actions, it seems likely the next
Emperor (Zerika IV) would probably grant it to a different line
entirely. If anyone remembers this tradition and wants to continue it
after the Interregnum, that is.

But either way, it appears to me that the Duchy of Eastmanswatch was
lent to Adron, rather than given in the manner of a traditional title.
It's a post, not a birthright. Hence, Aliera has no claim to it.
> Maybe it's something he and Aliera fought about.
>
> Morrolan: Since you are Adron's daughter, you of course inherit his
> lands.  They were granted to me, since I was the only known living
> heir, but I will be glad to hand them over to you.
> Aliera: What, you save my life, making me the Dragon Heir, *and* you
> want to give me my inheritance? No way, I *refuse* to go into debt to
> you further.  Keep the damn lands, and we are *even*.
Seems more likely to me that Zerika would have designated the lands to
the protection of someone else right after the Interregnum. Possibly
Morrolan, though he seems perfectly satisfied with Castle Black. A more
likely candidate seems like, oh, say, Sethra the Younger. Of course,
what happens to this after the events of /Yendi/ becomes a more
interesting topic...