[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler][Orca Spoiler] A slip of the tongue...

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Aug 22 16:19:03 PDT 2006

Dragon
guardsman
approached
the Fox
in
manner
rather
rude,
using
vulgar
words
and
language;
and
his Lady overheard.

>Yes, but isn't Sethra a Dzur?  (or more precisely, a proto Dzur),
>so Steven's comment that he meant the global "our" (as in dragaerans)
>is clearly accurate and this isn't a crack.

>Don't have textev on Sethra as a Dzur, but I'm pretty sure it has
>been said.

>-Jot

Sethra is Sethra. ;-) She has physical characteristics of both Dzur and
Dragon. None of the main characters of the Vladiad have definitively stated
that Sethra belongs to one House or another. If Paarfi is correct (and
there's no reason to believe he's wrong about a matter of heraldry) coat of
arms, if you will, displays both a dzur and a dragon on a black field with
no other decoration, as I recall. Her lineage block represents only herself;
implying either that her lineage is unknown or, more interestingly, that she
has no parents. Taking such heraldry literally, we could speculate that she
might actually be the direct product of the genetic manipulation and
breeding program of the Jenoine. By the same token, since her physical
features jibe with her choice of heraldic representation, it seems
reasonable to consider her to be a mixture of Dzur and Dragon, though the
terms half-breed or cross-breed don't really apply, at least not in the
conventional sense.

Essentially, Sethra predates the Houses and can't really be considered to
belong to any of them.

She DOES have a great deal of empathy for Dzurlords as well as a keener
understanding of
their natures than most people have. She favors the Dzur for work as Lavodes
as well. All of which makes it a bit ironic that the iconic Hero story is
that of the Dzur Hero challenging the Enchantress of Dzur Mountain.

It's all very interesting given that, in many ways, the last several Brust
novels have been an exercise in pro-Dzur propaganda. I think that Steve must
be a Dzur at heart. It appears to me that House Dzur is nearer and dearer to
him than any of the others. We've explored the aspects of several Houses
during the Vladiad and Paarfiad, the Dzur whose depths are plumbed the most
often compared to the shallower exploration of most other Houses.