[Dragaera] (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons]

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:36:31 PDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Jot Powers wrote:

[On Morganti weapons]

> I think the quote is from Sethra or Morrollan and it went something
> like:
>
> "They made them to stop war".
> Vlad:  "That's stupid".
> "It worked for them."

I decided to hunt down the textev for this using Amazon Search Inside.
 It's in /Dragon/, when Vlad is so affected by the combined aura of
hunger exuded by Baritt's Morganti collection that he can't make
himself move forward.  Kragar is with him.

[Begin Cite]

        "This is pretty ugly, Vlad."
        "Tell me about it, Kragar."
        "I wonder what he wanted them for."
        "I wonder why the Serioli invented them in the first place."
        "You don't know, Vlad?"
        "No. Do you?"
        "Sure. Well, I know what they say, at least."
        "What do they say?"
        "Back before the beginning of the Empire they were invented by
a Serioli smith in order to make war so horrible no one would fight
anymore."
        I snorted. "You're kidding. Do you believe they could be that stupid?"
        "Oh, but it worked."
        "Huh?"
        "Among the Serioli."
        "Oh."

[End Cite]

As you can see, Kragar is just relating a common story about them.
Who knows if it's actually true?  Well, maybe the Serioli, but he was
talking about Great Weapons rather than just Morganti ones, as was
Sethra in her exposition in /Issola/.

I think the question of whether Morganti weapons were created for the
same reason as Great Weapons is not an entirely closed question.
Perhaps we'll find out someday.