[Dragaera] Adron's Keep (Was Ardon's Keep)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Aug 23 08:42:15 PDT 2006

"Davdi Silverrock" <davdisil at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/22/06 04:51 PM

"Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Adron's Keep (Was Ardon's Keep)

>You're thinking of the Marquisate of Pepperfield.  After the Treaty of
>Pepperfield was signed, the Marquisate was changed to a Barony, and
>granted to Adron (one of his titles announced in FHYA), and I *think*
>it's special status changed to a more ordinary fief.

Oh, that's right. And that's why Uttrik had to move to Dragaera City after
Kathana killed his dad...

IIRC, Paarfi never revealed what happened to the Marquisate of
Pepperfields after this. Perhaps the Pepperfield Treaty rendered the
position obsolete?

>The Duchy of Eastmanswatch and the Marquisate/Barony of Pepperfield
>are nonetheless distinct places - even if Pepperfield is still
>considered important for defense, Eastmanswatch itself is a separate
>place, and would presumably be subject to the normal rules of
>inheritance.

Of course, all the normal rules of inheritance went out the window with
the Interregnum.

Likely, a warlord like Kana (perhaps even Kana himself) took over
Eastmanswatch during the Interregnum.

Zerika, at this point, would have two choices--either allow the usurper to
continue to occupy Eastmanswatch, or mount a hefty campaign to dislodge
him. (Assuming the person was unwilling to relinquish the keep, of
course.)

Keep in mind how heavily defended Redface is, and how difficult it would
be to recapture--and how strained Imperial resources were, coming out of
the Interregnum. Also, assuming the usurper was a Dragon (which is most
likely), this might be considered an affair within the internal workings
of the house, and thus, there is no need for direct Imperial interference.

>Another reason that Pepperfield might have been granted to Morrolan is
>that his army was one of the largest and strongest that was first to
>be dedicated to Zerika.  So from sheer pragmatic reasoning, it would
>make sense to give responsibility for an important defensive location
>to a pre-existing strong and loyal military force.

Perhaps. But if, say, Fornia was camped out in Redface, it would be
difficult for even Morrolan's army to remove him.