[Dragaera] How Deadly are Morganti Weapons?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 27 11:56:22 PDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:45:37AM -0500, dovekie wrote:

> There is a relevant torture scene, I believe in Yendi,  where Vlad
> threatens a sorceress by holding a morganti knife to the inside of her
> thigh. There might be other textev on the point, but I believe the
> rule in the book is that if a morganti weapon draws blood, the
> victim's soul dies.

_Jhereg_, I'd think.  And later, Vlad is terrified of a dagger falling
randomly from hand-height.  Their slightest scratch is death.  This has
caused fans to wonder what the difference between stronger and weaker
Morganti blades is, apart from a wider fear radius, since they all do
the same thing to souls.  Of course, we saw a Jenoine shrug off a major
Morganti blade, so perhaps there *are* defense against weaker blades,
but almost no Dragaerans if any have figured them out.  (Apart from
using Great Weapons and maybe being a wizard with hidden soul and such.)

For Hodgell, that's a major artifact.  For Brust, they seem to have been
mass-produced at some point, or else someone's still making them.

-xx- Damien X-)