[Dragaera] Dzur spoiler, Plastering over a minor Crack

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 12:58:26 PDT 2006

--- Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really a very minor spoiler, but hey, any excuse to quote more about
> Sir Eglamore.
>
> When
> she
> saw
> Sir
> Eglamore,
> You
> should
> have
> hear
> that
> dragon
> roar
> Fa la la-n-fa,
> da-n-da da-n-fa,
> lanky down dilly.
>

> Way back in /Yendi/, Vlad says:
>
> "I helped myself to a large glass of brandy, which I despise"
>
> And yet as we see in /Taltos/ and other books, he does actually love
> good Fenarian brandy.
>
> In /Dzur/, Vlad tells us:
>
> [begin cite]
>
> I treated myself to a Fenarian peach brandy called Oregigeret, [...]
> It was wonderful.  The Dragaerans have brandy, too, though they don't
> call it that.  And it's right that they don't call it brandy, because
> if you like brandy, you won't like the stuff they distill.  When it
> came to brandy, I was an Easterner.
>
> [end cite]
>
> Heh.

Maybe he's encountered better brandies since /Yendi/, or his taste has
matured.  I believe good brandy is stereotypically not a young man's
drink.  But I don't have a cite for the stereotype, and definitely no
first-hand evidence, since I'm not in the slightest interested in
acquiring that taste.

Jerry Friedman can almost remember which book the dead-bodies-and-seaweed
conversation is in.