[Dragaera] Breaking the Cycle.

Scott scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Aug 28 12:33:46 PDT 2006

> >During the Interregnum, there was no Empire to rule. ;-)
> >
>Thus, the Cycle was broken.

If it's any comfort, several of the Lords of Judgement held similar
opinions, though they were referring to the absence of one of the Houses
rather than the absence of the Empire. Reference Kelchor as quoted a couple
of days ago: paraphrased, "If the Cycle isn't broken right now, it will be
when Phoenix comes up again and, if it's irrevocably broken, why are we
bothering with this meeting?"

The lack of a sitting Phoenix Emperor wasn't nearly so important as the lack
of a future Phoenix Emperor. Whatever function the Empire serves, this may
indicate that the transition from one House to the next is what's really
important.

The Cycle DOES predate the Empire. Paarfi refers to it as the most ancient
of artifacts, roughly speaking. Barlen refers to it as a fundamental law of
the universe. The Empire and the Cycle are tied together in some fashion
such that each depends upon the other. When Sethra comments that there were
34 tribes once-upon-a-time, it's not unreasonable to assume that the Cycle
itself was responsible for the loss of those other seventeen tribes; forcing
the just-forming Empire to conform to its influence.

The reference to a "Cycle Emperor" and an "Orb Emperor" is a result of some
past discussions on the list concerning what happens when the Cycle turns.
>From what we know of Dragaeran history, the transition between Houses is
violent as often as it is peaceful. In other words, the Cycle turns, but the
current Emperor doesn't get some sort of cosmic signal telling him to step
down. It's usually a matter of some crisis that the current Emperor is
unable to handle that causes him to (voluntarily or not) hand the Orb to the
next House or else a sign or portent of some kind.

Paarfi's writings contain many examples of such transitions. The common
thread among them is that the people involved generally decide on their own
that the Cycle has turned and the passing of the Orb is considered to be the
affirmation that they were right.

What this means is that there is normally some period of time in which the
current Emperor is NOT the "Cycle Emperor". An example, which I'm making up:
The Cycle turns to Dragon. Zerika, the current Phoenix Empress, is now
ruling a Dragon Empire. Revolts begin happening with greater frequency. A
raid by Easterners costs the Empire control of Sandyhome. Greenaire and Elde
from an alliance and begin raiding the coast. War threatens to break out on
all fronts at once. Zerika realizes that this is a situation that requires a
military Emperor. After consulting with her advisors, her Warlord (or
perhaps the Warlord dies unexpectedly, increasing the urgency of the
situation) and with Sethra Lavode (being on good terms with her), she
decides that the Cycle has turned and abdicates the Throne; passing the Orb
to Norathar, the Dragon Heir. The Orb allows itself to be passed, the Dragon
Emperor is now ruling the Dragon Empire, and the wars are successfully
resolved now that the Orb Emperor matches the Cycle Emperor.