[Dragaera] Great Weapons

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:18:57 PDT 2006

[Dzur spoilers, of necessity]
.

On 9/4/06, serazh at bellsouth.net <serazh at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> First time posting here, and I just joined not long ago as a subscriber,
> long time fan of Brusts books, I have enjoyed the Vlad series a lot, and
> enjoyed meeting Steven Brust.
>
> My question is this, does anyone know of a list of the 17 great weapons,
> and thier primary purposes? After reading Dzur and reading about the Dzur
> weapon, I was trying to recall if I had seen them named or listed anywhere.
> Anyone got any info on them? Or a partial list of them?

Hi, and welcome to the list.

The only known Great Weapons are:

Blackwand (Approx. translation: "Magical wand in the form of a sword for
displacing life"), bonded to Morrolan e'Drien; known to shoot out scary
blackness and assist with wizardry. Seems to be female.

Pathfinder (can't remember the translation), bonded to Aliera e'Kieron;
known to be useful for locating Dragaerans and Jenoine. Indeterminate
gender.

Nightslayer ("Loci for different levels of energy from various phases of
existence"), wielded by Telnan, a.k.a. Zungaron, known to have a more scary
and vicious aura than Blackwand.

Iceflame (unknown translation), weilded by Sethra Lavode. Known to be used
by Sethra when performing certain spells (breaking Jenoine spells and
detecting illusions, for a start), and to be very sensitive on certain
levels to [mumble], resulting in changes, presumably sorcerous, to [mumble].

Godslayer ("Remover of aspects of deity"), wielded by Vlad Taltos. Known to
be effective against defensive Jenoine magics; to be capable of blocking a
sorcerous attack from a lone sorceress and simultaneously destroying her
soul; to be capable of removing mental blocks placed by the Demon Goddess
and opening portals her realm from certain altars in Adrilankha. Is also
capable of making angry Easterners see reason. Formerly Lady Teldra of House
Issola, and Vlad always idiosyncratically refers to her as such.

All Great Weapons are Morganti weapons, are capable of protecting their
wielders from other Morganti weapons (given warning and a bit of luck), and
convey a sense of well-being to their wielders when in close contact. They
also connect the wielder to "powers beyond the world," and eventually
require a test of wills with their wielder. What this means we don't know.

So basically, we don't know much about them. Telnan doesn't know anything
and Sethra isn't telling.

-Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are,