[Dragaera] Boing!

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:25:20 PDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Jon_Lincicum wrote:

> Well, in the reviewer's defense, he is basically paraphrasing Aliera's
> talk in chapter nine of /Jhereg/... Since the members of each House really
> *are* genetically descended from the animals that represent them (except
> for Jhereg), he statement is technically correct.

I don't think so.  First of all, "descended" isn't really the right
term, since the genes were added by artificial manipulation.
Dragaerans are transgenic organisms, and the House of the Dragon is no
more descended from dragons than a genetically modified rabbit that
glows in the dark is descended from fluorescent jellyfish.  Secondly,
it has not been disclosed how the animal genes affect them; it is
still possible that the specifically animal genes are non-active
markers rather than actively coding for any expressed traits.