[Dragaera] Boing!

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Sep 7 09:38:28 PDT 2006

"Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
09/07/06 09:27 AM

"Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Boing!

>On 9/7/06, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>> Even that's misleading.    "Oh, I'm going to read Yendi, because I like
>> animals, and want to see what kind of animal characteristics the title
>> character has".
>>

>That's an interesting point, since the Houses were (as I understand
>it) chosen to represent different aspects of human nature rather than
>for verisimilitude w/rt real animals. Thus, it might be more accurate
>to leave the animals out entirely and say that Dragaerans are tied to
>aspects of human nature, each symbolized by a fantastic animal.

Well, in the reviewer's defense, he is basically paraphrasing Aliera's
talk in chapter nine of /Jhereg/... Since the members of each House really
*are* genetically descended from the animals that represent them (except
for Jhereg), he statement is technically correct.

However, taken out of context like this, this truth assumes a greater
importance than it really deserves. Certainly the fact that Dragaerans are
genetically descended from animals is *not* readily apparent in their
everyday activities.

I would file this observation under the category "True, but Misleading".