[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] A terribly amusing Speculation

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon Sep 11 06:51:06 PDT 2006

"Davdi Silverrock" <davdisil at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
09/09/06 05:25 PM

"Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] A terribly amusing Speculation

>Spoiler space for /Dzur/
>
>No
>sword
>could
>enter
>through
>her
>skin,
>Which
>vexed
>the
>knight
>and
>made
>her
>grin,
>Fa la la-n-fa,
>da-n-da da-n-fa,
>lanky down dilly.
>

>So, who would forget the current term to refer to the illegal business
>side of the Jhereg?

A few points I want to poke in your observation here:

It is not said outright that Mario is unfamilar with the phrase, it just
makes him chuckle in a way that Vlad takes to mean he hasn't heard it
before. He may have been grinning for a different reason than Vlad thinks,
however. (Perhaps it simply brought back memories of his youth when he
used to call them by the same name?)

Perhaps this particular phrase isn't common to all Jhereg in the first
place--it's just the specific slang term that Vlad learned from his
particular neighborhood Organization contacts while he was coming up in
the business. It's possible (even likely) that each different neighborhood
in Adrilankha has their own different derrogatory phrases for the group.

>Who wouldn't have heard the phrase "Bitch Patrol"?

Again, there's no guarantee he hasn't heard the term. It is implied,
that's all.

>Someone who's retired, that's who.

Well, perhaps semi-retired. But that's a long assumption to make on one
small chuckle.

>What if... Kragar was actually Mario's apprentice, and is the one who
>has been doing all of the recent "work" attributed to Mario?

Interesting hypothesis--but "work" has never seemed to be the kind of
thing Kragar was interested in. Granted, we knew so little about him in
the "good old days" that it was easy for him to hide the fact that he was
fronting for Mario--which certainly makes it possible he's got even
darker, deeper skeletons in his closet. But Vlad never comments on Kragar
as someone who looks like he's done "work"...

Add to this, the fact that Kragar's expulsion from the House of Dragon was
apparently involuntary. This is likely not a man who has completely
abandoned the principles of House Dragon... Which would seem to preclude
becomming an assassin.

>Alternatively, perhaps Kragar and Mario are partners, only instead of
>"working" together, they alternate.  With Kragar handling being their
>public face.

I would think this would defeat the purpose of having a public face. If
the public face might get caught doing a job, things would get
interesting.

>And of course, this ties in as Yet Another Ideation about Kragar's
>House ejection.

The idea here being that Kragar got caught doing "work", and therefore got
ejected from the House? Hmmm... Not sure I buy it. Doesn't really seem to
jive with Kragar's attitude about his former House. (Although it might
explain Aliera's disgust for him.)