[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] A terribly amusing Speculation

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 11 13:04:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> On 9/11/06, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> > [spoiler space]
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >
> > On 9/11/06, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> > > I suppose I have in mind at least the possibility that the young,
> > > nondescript assassin that Khaavren saw, the one who made the first
> > > abortive attempt on Tortaalik, was Kragar.
> >
> > Problem: that leaves Kragar, and not Mario, as Aliera's paramour.
>
> Why?  Remember, all of that was Paarfi's reconstruction.  What the
> hell does *he* know?

Or - what's his motivation for telling the truth, or lying?

> In this speculative scenario, Aliera would have helped Kragar because
> (a) for Mario's sake, not because she likes Kragar, and (b) she's
> mightily pissed off at Tortaalik anyway.
>
> No boinking need have occurred between Aliera and Kragar.

In my version, Sethra/Aliera off Tortaalik and blame a phantom Mario.
Or rather a guy Aliera has a thing for, because he's got some
extraordinary qualities and a sense of humor.

Then Kragar comes along and turns out to be an archetypal assassin,
and he works out a deal with Mario to take on his jobs.

I think this achieves the desired simplification of the events around
Tortaalik's death (no Sethra whispering state secrets the moment M happens
to be hiding in the arras, etc.) at the cost of our understanding what
M has going for him that Aliera is attracted to.

> And hey, maybe that's why she's pissy with Kragar - it's OK for Jhereg
> to be assassins, because that's their House, but it's dishonorable for
> Dragons to be assassins, and she's not OK with Kragar being one.

I like this, but don't see how it works with Norathar - unless she was
compelled to join the Jhereg for reasons Aliera accepts, but Kragar
wasn't.