[Dragaera] Cycle Turnings

Will Frank wmfrank at stwing.org
Tue Sep 19 19:29:14 PDT 2006

Also Sprach Jon_Lincicum at stream.com:

> Is there more likely to be a violent coup when the Cycle changes from
> Lyorn to Tiassa, or when it changes from Dzur to Issola? Is the Teckla
> Republic born in violence, or overthrown by it? Or both?

I'm guessing it depends, both on the individual leaders (meaning the best we
can do is generalize), and the House characteristics.

Phoenix-Dragon? Probably violent (unless, like Zerika, the Phoenix emperor
is reborn and steps down).

Dragon-Lyorn? Surely violent. As much as a Dragon might not want to be
Emperor, he would want to _stop_ being Emperor probably even less.

Lyorn-Tiassa is probably not violent. A Lyorn would know he was unable to
function; besides, he knows that the Cycle always changes...

And so on. I'm not going through all of them again, not after the Onions
bit, but I'll mention a few more. The Chreothra and Yendi don't fight
openly--it's subtle, net-weaving or plotting. The Jhereg aren't much for
open fighting either...

One more: the Teckla, we are told, revolt to form the Republic (note: is
that--the Teckla form a Republic--actually written in any of the books so
far? I'm not complaining, per se; it's a great explanation and makes
perfect sense. But I don't recall it), and I'm betting the Republic ends up
collapsing, so the Jhegaala just pick up the pieces.

Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmfrank at stwing.org
"Hey, I don't make the crazy rules. I just twist them to my purpose."
  "You're going to do very well in your chosen field [law], Celia."
--Celia and Roy Greenhilt, "The Order Of The Stick"