[Dragaera] Cycle Turnings

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Sep 20 06:24:19 PDT 2006

Will Frank <wmfrank at stwing.org>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
09/19/06 07:29 PM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Cycle Turnings

>One more: the Teckla, we are told, revolt to form the Republic (note: is
>that--the Teckla form a Republic--actually written in any of the books so

>far? I'm not complaining, per se; it's a great explanation and makes
>perfect sense. But I don't recall it), and I'm betting the Republic ends
up
>collapsing, so the Jhegaala just pick up the pieces.

There's a bit at the beginning of /The Phoenix Guard/ (talking about
G'aereth's history) that mentions the fall of the "seventeenth Teckla
Republic" and the beginning of the Jhegaala reign that followed. This
would seem to imply that there were 16 other Teckla Republics before this,
presumably during the 16 prior Teckla turns of the cycle.

[Cite]

We will pause, then, long enough to say two words about Captain
Gant-Aerethia. He had arrived in Dragaera City, the poor younger son of a
poor Dzur baron from a marshy south-western lake region, late in the
Seventeenth Teckla Republic. He joined the army of the Jhegaala, and was
involved in the fall of the Republic, and the establishment of Empress
Viodonna the Sixth, of the House of the Jhegaala.

[End Cite]

It seems to me there are other comments scattered around the Paarfiad in
an offhand way that back this idea up.

(I also notice that, given the full-form of G'aereth's name, that he
appears to come from the Aerethia region--a place mentioned at other times
in the Paarfi and Vlad books as a wine-producing region of some repute. We
might be able to conclude from this passage that this region is located in
the south-west, and is a marshy lake region.)

It would appear that, rather like Vlad talking to Kiera, I found more than
I was looking for here.