[Dragaera] Cycle Turnings

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:23:36 PDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Jon_Lincicum wrote:

> [Cite]
>
> We will pause, then, long enough to say two words about Captain
> Gant-Aerethia. He had arrived in Dragaera City, the poor younger son of a
> poor Dzur baron from a marshy south-western lake region, late in the
> Seventeenth Teckla Republic. He joined the army of the Jhegaala, and was
> involved in the fall of the Republic, and the establishment of Empress
> Viodonna the Sixth, of the House of the Jhegaala.
>
> [End Cite]
>

> (I also notice that, given the full-form of G'aereth's name, that he
> appears to come from the Aerethia region--a place mentioned at other times
> in the Paarfi and Vlad books as a wine-producing region of some repute. We
> might be able to conclude from this passage that this region is located in
> the south-west, and is a marshy lake region.)

I don't think that quite works - why would G'aereth be from a poor
family, if the wines are good?  And I don't know much about
viticulture, but I am pretty sure that "marshy lakes" are NOT the sort
of place that grapes do well in.

I can see "Gant" as being some sort of directional modifier (perhaps
meaning "south" or "west" or "below"), and thus Gant-Aerethia is where
the river(s) that water the grape fields of Aerethia bottom out into
wetlands that eventually drain into the sea.

> It would appear that, rather like Vlad talking to Kiera, I found more than
> I was looking for here.

I think I've already noted the very short Reign length of the Jhegaala
& Athyra that can be inferred from the summary of G'aereth's career -
quite possibly little more than the minimum.