[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] Blackwand's Black Ray's of Death

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Sep 20 06:29:11 PDT 2006

dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info wrote on 09/20/2006 06:19:07 AM:

> On 9/19/06, Jon Lincicum wrote:
> > Crithnak's sister was killed from a distance, by a bolt
> > very similar to Blackwand's... And that apparently did
> > destroy her soul.
>
> To which Max Wilson replied:
> > There was no bolt, actually. Daymar seems to think the
> > sorceress was exposing herself in some way, or at least
> > he's not surprised that the morganti effect was possible,
> > but he thought it would depend upon the spell being used.
> > Morrolan's victims are not exposing themselves in the
> > same way, and yes, when it comes to magic Teldra
> > certainly is unique in several abilities.
>
> I need to go back and read the passage again, but it seemed to me as if
> the spell that she was casting was in some way reflected back at her.
> On first reading, I thought her death was simply a case of a
> catastrophic feedback loop.  (Perhaps a reference to the old line about
> the subject of a "work" assignment 'killing themselves'.)  I was as
> surprised as Vlad to find out that she was unrevivifiable, but perhaps
> it wasn't truly because Godslayer is Morganti, but rather a simple case
> of fried brain stem.

No, not just fried brain-stem, Crithnak was convinced her sister's soul
was destroyed--this is beyond just being non-revivifiable. A
destroyed-brain case may not be revivifiable, but their soul can still go
to the Paths, get reincarnated, &c.

To the left, given Daymar's discussion with Vlad, it does seem likely that
the spell that Crithnak's sister was casting did play a role in her
soul-death. I would say this tends to make it unlikely that GWs can
normally destroy spells as part of a ranged attack. It seems to take
special circumstances.