[Dragaera] Verra puts her hand in again (or perhaps other parts)

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Mon Oct 2 14:23:17 PDT 2006

Re-reading The Phoenix Guards  (Spoilers for that book follow!)

it now occurs to me that the friends would have been in little or no danger
had Adron continued (near the end) to accompany them back to Dragaera City
to see the empire.

And why didn't he?  Because he got a message from a certain little girl that
he needed to return home at once to "be presented with his new daughter".

I assume that Verra could have just as easily chosen a different place (or
even time!) for this presentation, so she was probably just trying to
interfere with the events of the Empire again.  But this begs the question
"Why?"

What would make Verra want to keep Adron away from the impending clash
between Khaavren & Friends, the Emperor, and the court intriguers?

* She didn't want the peace treaty with the East either?
* She didn't want the friends to survive?
* She wants Tortaalik's reign to end early?
* She's just being arbitrary and random?

or perhaps she's worried about Adron:

* She thinks Adron may be in danger from these intrigues
* She's sensed/heard that Adron is to be involved in a Disaster in that city
(someday) and wants to keep him out of it.

I just thought it interesting that she has once more apparently deliberately
interfered in important Empire affairs, and by doing so, nearly caused
horrible things to happen.

--
\Steve