[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoilers] very randomly

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:26:05 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > Philip Hart wrote:
> >

> > In /Issola/, it became pretty clear that Teldra trusted Vlad utterly.
>
> Utterly?  That's laughable.

Well, I think that could be expanded upon.

Teldra obviously trusted Vlad to be more-or-less competent; to make
pragmatic choices which advanced his own interests; and to have
sufficient loyalty to assist those who were his actual friends.

But Teldra knows that Vlad is a killer, a murderer, an assassin.
While she acknowledges that Vlad keeps surviving,  that's a pragmatic
assessment, not an ethical judgement.

And I would argue that the decision to destroy a soul is an ethical
one, and that Teldra would not necessarily trust Vlad to make the same
ethical choices that she herself would.

> > Will she have a problem trusting him to decide whose soul
> > is no longer needed?
>
> No longer needed - to exist?  Which no longer needing to exist will
> be executed by whatever percentage of her is left?  Yeah, I think so.

In addition, there is Vlad's realization that Teldra liked people.
Assuming this still carries over into her new form, liking people
generally means emphasizing their good parts and forgiving their bad
parts.  This is almost always incompatible with destroying their
souls.