[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoilers] On Name Cracks

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:37:11 PDT 2006

> > > Teckla
> > >
> > > Jhegaala
> > >
> > > Athyra
> > >
> > > Phoenix
>
> <snipped, with a Morganti knife>
>
> > > It's confusing, yes, but is it a Crack?
> >
> > I think so.

[snips]

> > Misleading Kragar about who is Terion's mistress doesn't really help
> > Kragar or Vlad, which is why it makes no sense.
>
> I think it's Vlad looking out for Kragar, and keeping him from knowing about
> the sorceress he soul-ate. Especially since Kragar doesn't apparently
> notice Lady Teldra. Plus, this gives Kragar some distance. Vlad doesn't
> want to see Kragar get killed--especially not Morganti--for simply
> associating with him.

To the right, I don't get the sense that "associates" of Jhereg
targets are usually at risk for Morganti deaths.  Sometimes, they're
at risk for regular murder, and even then, sometimes not even
permanently.

To the left, if Vlad really wanted to protect Kragar, he wouldn't have
gone to see him at all, let alone ask him to become involved by
communicating an assassination target to Mario.  I don't see how
changing one detail about the target in any way protects Kragar.

And finally, if either Vlad or Kragar didn't want risks, they wouldn't
be in the business that they're in.  Kragar was at risk quite a lot of
times before Vlad left, and never seemed to mind the risk.  And Vlad
never seemed to mind putting him at risk, if he thought that the risk
was reasonable.  Vlad didn't bug out until the risk became insanely
large.

Also, consider that Kragar's a Dragon (at least partially, and
probably fully).  Dragons seem to be willing to take risks:

[begin cite]

"I don't know how much fun it will be for you"
"Do it," she said.
"It might be painful."
"Do it," Morrolan said.
"It might be dangerous."
"Do it," said Aliera.
"You may not survive."
"Do it," said Morrolan.
"It might mean the end of civilization as we know it."
Aliera gave me a disgusted look.
I shrugged. "Just wondering how far you'd go."

[end cite]