[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:09:20 PDT 2006

In the course of researching some other stuff, I was looking at the
page in Yendi that first mentions Cawti and Norathar as The Dagger and
The Sword.  Vlad mentions that the duo "won't even talk to you for
less than eight or nine [thousand gold pieces]", and would probably
have charged "at least twenty thousand" for Laris.

Now, even split two ways, that is a lot of gold.  I'm pretty sure that
the two of them could only have charged that much after quite a lot of
experience and high-profile or high-risk work. And they probably
weren't as profligate as Vlad was with their money [1]. They were
probably already quite wealthy before /Yendi/.

Did Cawti's costs while running South Adrilankha put her personally
into the red? She might well have been covering things out of her own
pockets, and various guilt feelings might have made it easier for her
to spend pretty nearly everything.

But to the left, she might still be independantly wealthy.

And thinking about the fact that Cawti was almost certainly
independantly wealthy before she got South Adrilankha makes me wonder
about some other things, such as, would she have become involved with
Kelly's movement if she hadn't been idle and wealthy, and perhaps
feeling somewhat guilty about both the wealth and the idleness?