[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:21:11 PDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> What is Cawti working for as of _Yendi_ if she's rich?
> It makes her accepting the Vlad contract harder to motivate.

NB:[1]

Well, why does any assassin take more than one high-priced job, if
that job would keep them comfortable for years, if spent carefully?
They either want the money for themselves, or for some other purpose,
or they need the money, or have some other motivation.

Cawti doesn't seem particularly greedy, so perhaps we can scratch that
motivation.

But as you noted, perhaps she donates a chunk of her income to
charities/causes/&c, or perhaps she has debts of various shapes and
sizes.

Another possible motivation: Perhaps Vlad's reputation was blackened
to her by the ones who put the hit out:

"Remember that Dragonlord who whacked a bunch of Easterners with a
soul-killing sword?  Not just out East during the Interregnum, but
also fairly recently, at Baritt's Tomb?  Well, *this* Easterner is all
buddy-buddy with that Dragonlord."

Or something like that.