[Dragaera] [Orca spoiler] A Devera thread, please?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 19:58:47 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 10/22/06, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>
>> [Orca spoilers]
>> .
>> On 10/22/06, healing line wrote:
>>

>>> Please discuss and dismiss this conclusion which
>>> has overtaken my mentations regarding this elusive character:
>>>
>>>   Devera, if she ever is actually born, is meant for a love interest of Vlad Norathar.
>>>
>>>   And her father is Mario.
>>>
>> Well, they're different species, and in a way Vlad Norathar is her
>> cousin. (If Aliera and Vlad still count as siblings.) Then again, SKZB
>> is on record saying that Devera's father is Kieron, so maybe Kieron
>> and Aliera no longer count as siblings (especially if Aliera was
>> originally Kieron's brother Drien), though that would still rule out
>> Mario being the father. Of course, maybe Steve was lying and it really
>> is Mario.
>>

> Devera is a full-blooded Dragon, the daughter of Aliera e'Kieron and
> Kieron the Conqueror.

Well, I agree this is likely correct, but this has not actually yet been
stated anywhere "officially" in the texts.

> While Aliera is extremely arrogant, she's not going to give birth to a
> Dragon-Jhereg crossbreed if she possibly can help it.  Since she's an
> extremely competent sorceress, she can help it.  QED.

Seems unlikely. If she hasn't run into problems of this kind with Mario,
it's likely she knows how to stop it from becoming a problem.

At the same time, note that Steve's hint about Kieron being the father
has the conception taking place in the Paths of the Dead--where sorcery
is not operative. The "She can help it" argument looses some of its
potency if sorcery is not available to her.

> Devera is no blood relation of Vlad Norathar, because Vlad's mom is
> not Verra (I assert).

We'll see. (Or maybe we won't, and Steve will just keep us guessing, but
my money says Verra *is* in fact Vlad's real mother...Whether he ever
learns about it or not.)

> But Devera is not going to be a love interest for VN because by the
> time she's old enough to date, VN is almost certainly going to be
> completely grey-haired, and possibly arthritic.  And Devera will
> almost certainly know VN as "Uncle" while she's growing up, just like
> she calls Vlad using that familiar epithet.  QED

While I agree in principle with this argument, Devera is very skilled at
moving through (or at least tinkering with) time, so this may not be the
problem you expect it to be. At the same time, even if Devera could make
herself old enough to date VN right when he was in his prime, what
happens forty years later when he's over-the-hill and she's still an
adolescent?

However, I still think it's unlikely VN and Devera will get together
since they are a) of different species, and are also b) closely related
to one another (huh? How does that work?!?! Shhh. It's magic.)