[Dragaera] Dragaera Digest, Vol 4, Issue 17

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Mon Oct 23 07:40:40 PDT 2006

> Context for newbies:  It has been speculated that Vlad is actually
> Verra's son.  There is absolutely no textual or external evidence for
> this (that is, SKZB has neither confirmed nor denied this
> speculation).  I presume people are just going by a few misinterpreted
> phrases here and there (like Devera referring to "Uncle" Vlad), and
> perhaps some general hint of odd chemistry in the interaction between
> VtDG & VT.
>
> See also:
> http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Vlad_Taltos#Vlad.27s_Mother
>
> So Jon is a pro-Vlad-is-Verra's-son, and I know that Mark Mandel,
> despite his intermittent participation, is also very much in favor of
> the idea.  So that's two votes in favor.
>
> I think it's all apophenia, myself, and vote absolutely not.
>
> Anyone else want to sound off on where they stand on this particular
> issue?
>
> First of all, Davdi, thanks for making me look up "apophenia"  -- I love
the word and will likely use it.

Second -- A satisfying ending to a 19-book series where it's hinted that the
hero was, in a past life, the founder of a race and will someday be much
more important than that, will necessarily involve lots of "destiny"
revelations at some point.

Since his mother's identity has been deliberately held back (in every
detail), it's likely that this identity will turn out to be one of those
revelations.

Whether the mom turns out to be Verra, or Sethra, or Kelly's mom, or some
insignificant dead Eastern woman, will all have their own effects on the
closure of the story.  There are precious few hints so far of any of these.

But Verra as Vlad's mom would certainly be a good closure to some of the
tension we're seeing now, only halfway thru the series.  Some other closure
could just as easily resolve that and still leave Vlad's mother's identity
open.

It would certainly explain the way Vlad had no trouble getting into or out
of the Paths of the Dead, alive.   That "just an Easterner so the rules
don't apply, but don't come back again" sounded rather lame, didn't it?

It would also be a more direct explanation for Devera's "Uncle Vlad".  And
for the extraordinarily rude behavior Vlad can't help exhibiting towards
Verra.

But I'm of the opinion that it's not crucial to the story at this point, and
so it's probably not decided yet.