[Dragaera] [Issola, Dzur, Orca spoilers] GWs and aging (was: A Devera thread)

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 13:53:23 PDT 2006

Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
>
>> For instance - How do we know that Brimford is even alive?
>>
>> All we know in Vlad's time is that Zerika has an Easterner lover. We know
>> nothing about this lover except Zerika's admission that the rumor is true.
>> It's easy to read Paarfi and assume that the two are the same, but that's
>> all it is; an assumption.
>>

> The wiki cites Laszlo as still being alive in /Phoenix/.
> http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Laszlo I don't have a copy to hand
> to know exactly what it says.

Phoenix, Chapter 11, pages 309-310 (omnibus):

[Cite]

"Just speculating on rumors, Your Majesty."
"Ah. About an Eastern lover?"
"Um, yeah."
"It's true," she said. "His name is Laszlo. He isn't my lover because he
is an Easterner, nor despite it. He is my lover because I love him, and
he is an Easterner because that is the house in which his soul resides."

[End Cite]

The way I read this, there are 3 basic possibilities:

1) This is the same guy.
2) Paarfi got The Warlock's real name wrong, or else forgot that
Easterners are short-lived (putting him in the story even though he
wasn't really around back then), or somehow otherwise messed up his
facts as related in /Viscount of Adrilankha/
3) That Paarfi's Laszlo and the Laszlo from /Phoenix/ are two different
people with the unlikely coincidence of both being lovers of Zerika, and
both having the same name.

To me, the most likely seems to be the first one--as Paarfi, despite his
faults, seems unlikely to have made errors of the scope to make #2 very
plausible, and #3 isn't very likely no matter how you look at it.