[Dragaera] "Kieron The Conqueror"

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 16:48:38 PDT 2006

Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I don't think all this back story is not something Steve
>> will want to have "set in stone" by writing a book about it--at least,
>> not until after the Vlad books have all been published. Which means it's
>> a long way off, if ever.
>>

> To the left, if it's a gripping adventure story (maybe voiced by
> Kieron himself, with overwraught dialogue a la 1920's cliffhangers)
> written by a contemporary Dragaeran, it may only be set in stone to
> the extent that one trusts the writer. Not every author is as careful
> as Paarfi, and while the early Empire seems to be fairly
> well-documented, the pre-Empire period is "a long way back, even for
> [Sethra]" and history seems pretty murky there. And cheap pulp writers
> aren't known for their accuracy anyway. I dunno, maybe there is some
> potential after all.

Interesting you should mention this--some of the personal fanfic I've
been working on uses these concepts.

Not the pulp-fiction serial kind of thing, but the while unreliable
narrator approach. (I bet you wonder where *that* came from, eh?)

Of course, my stuff is mostly set in the 4th cycle, rather than the
absolute birth of the Empire, but it's still a ways back.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this stuff have an official version
published... But Steve's the one you have to convince, not me.