[Dragaera] Dragaeran Publication Date of _Five Hundred YearsAfter_

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:41:56 PST 2006

On 10/30/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>

> > Dragons traditionally do not consider murder to be honorable.  This
> > may be hypocritical of them, given their violent tendencies, but they
> > at least have the conceptual fig-leaf that those they oppose in
> > personal duels and in wartime are able to fight back or surrender.
> > Those who murder the defenseless - as Tortaalik was defenseless when
> > the Orb shut down - are openly despised by the Dragonlords.
>
> If one is dueling with an opponent who has a vastly superior weapon,
> and one disarms him or her, does one have to allow him or her to
> retrieve it?

Dunno.  *I'm* not a duelist.

> What about Fornia's death?

Did Fornia die?  And note that what happened to him was not done by a Dragon.

And also note that what happened to him was because he did actually
follow the rules of war regarding those who surrender; Vlad was the
one who was in violation of those rules.

The fact that Vlad was forgiven that violation is I think an example
of the hypocrisy that can arise when one's principles are violated by
a friend rather than by oneself.

> > By showing Aliera as being intimate with a Jhereg assassin, and
> > colluding with that assassin in an assassination, Paarfi put Aliera in
> > the position of at least potentially being despised by her fellow
> > Dragonlords.  And I think there is reason for Aliera to indeed care
> > what other Dragons think of her - if not for her own sake, then for
> > the sake of her lineage, which is one of the very foundations of her
> > personal pride and self-love.
>
> Her father killed millions (?) of people - her line's honor will not
> depend on her involvement with Mario.

Since that wasn't deliberate murder, I don't think that House Dragon
holds it against him.

> And she's friends with Vlad - so what?

Note that "friends" does not mean "lovers", and that she's never aided
him in his "work".
And see above regarding friends, principles, and hypocrisy.

> I suspect she doesn't care about the opinion of anyone unwilling to
> express it before her, and the willing she's happy to kill.

I am sure that there are limits to what she's willing to do,
especially with regards the Dragon Council.