[Dragaera] Poll on format

Matthew Jennings attjen at gwu.edu
Sat Nov 4 05:38:28 PST 2006

A subject near and dear to my heart.

>  1)  What audiobook reader do you like best?

Patrick Tull's reading of the Aubrey/Maturin series is bloody marvelous.
Jim Dale is excellent for the HP series.
Tim Curry is excellent for the Snicket series.

Generally speaking, the best I find have usually been actors, but those read by authors can be very good as well.  The actors seem to add a level of professional ability that helps a great deal. (voice control, etc)

Jeremy Iron's reading of Lolita is amazing.
Kenneth Branagh did one of Graham Greene's which actually made me like the book more than if I had read it.
The guy who played 'Chef' who did Gaiman's Ananis Boys was very good too.

I don't like George Guidall very much, but he does almost everything.  (But he was very good for "The History of Love")

Those are all men, which isn't really fair. I've listened to several excellent female readers, but I can't think of which books.  (Emma Thompson for a Jane Austen probably? Miranda Richardson did one of Marquez' which I can't remember the name of...)

>  2)  What audiobook format[s] do you like best?

CD for sure.  Mp3 is fine.  the Downloadable ones would be okay if you could convert them to a cd, which you usually can't.

>  3)  Do you listen to audiobooks frequently?

Every day I go to work.  I go through at least one or two a month.

>  4)  Did you ever get hooked on an author from an audiobook?

Yes... sort of.  The three series I listed in the 1st question had their 'addictiveness' raised by the audiobooks.  But I probably would have liked them too if I had only read them.

Dare I ask if there is some consideration to the works of SKZB being put out on audio?  Dare we make suggestions? (Nathan Fillion comes to mind... but the Paarfiad is problematic... Jason Isaacs?)