[Dragaera] Floating Bridge

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Thu Nov 9 05:26:05 PST 2006

> I'm not as Dragaera Map Savvy as some on the list, so I could
> be way off here but:
>   On page 126 of the Dragon paperback Vlad describes a bridge:
>   "It was a strange bridge, too, with a high arch and sticks
> jutting out at odd angles and, as far as I could see, nothing
> at all keeping it together."
>   Which reminded me quite a bit of The Floating Bridge in The
> Phoenix Guards. (Sorry, but I don't have a page number handy.
> That book gets lent out and/or magically disappears more than
> any other Brust work of mine.)
>
>   Was Cropper Company stationed anywhere near the route
> Khaavren & Co. took to Redface?

This particular bridge is located on "the lea beneath Castle Black" (see the
very top of pg 126).

The Floating Bridge is across the Eastern (AKA Laughing) River between
Castle Redface and the Pepperfields (see the end of chapter 26/start of
chapter 27 in the Phoenix Guards).

While there might have been some overlap between the route Khaavren took and
the route Cropper Company took (they both ended up in the Eastern Mountains,
afterall), I do not believe K went as far south as Castle Black or CC went
as far north as the Floating Bridge.

Bryan