[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:21:32 PST 2006

On 11/15/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> > On 11/15/06, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > > There is only one person who needed to be convinced that Vlad should not
> > > be prosecuted.   And when that person was convinced, nobody needed to be
> > > incompetent, uninterested, or bribed in order to accept her testimony.
> >
> > And this mysterious person is?
> >
> > Note that there is a direct contradiction in your thesis: whoever this
> > person is that might have interfered with the interrogation (but did
> > not) is obviously uninterested in the truth - even assuming competence
> > and lack of being bribed.
>

> Presumably Zerika.

Yet this doesn't make sense in the context.  The Empress has no
motivation to interfere in the affairs of House Jhereg when those
affairs are not in conflict with the Empire.  More specifically, she
has no motivation to intercede in the investigation of the murder of
one rather minor Jhereg by another very minor Jhereg; there's little
point in defending the murderer when as far as she can tell he was
indeed guilty of the murder. And she certainly gave no "testimony",
having no testimony to give.

> I would guess she was not uninterested but instead not
> disinterested.  I take it the truth was manifest but unimportant.

Well, then she could be described as uninterested in making the truth
known to others besides herself.  There is still a definite apathy on
her part.