[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 14:03:45 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Howard Brazee wrote:
> > Her acceptance was testimony all by itself when she's the person running
> > the Orb.   Certainly the orb and her are a unit, which is smart enough
> > to get around such tricks - when it matters.

Not necessarily. Or at least, Paarfi depicts her as appearing to think
that those who know Discretion can at least sometimes bypass the Orb.

> >  At that point in time,
> > she believed that her input wasn't the best for the empire.

In other words, she was uninterested in elucidating the truth.  Which
was my point.

> A good point, I think. If Vlad was interrogated under the Orb, Zerika
> would necessarily have to have been present.

Indeed she was, as she reminded Vlad later, to his mild chagrin, when
he found out that she was quite aware of his sophomoric tricks, and
remembered them clearly (as indeed she would have to, since the Orb
remembers perfectly all that occurs nearby, unless it is turned off by
the Emperor (and do we know if it is really turned off, I wonder, or
was Zerika stating a bald-faced lie?)).

> If she kept her mouth
> shut in spite of knowing what was going on, that indicates some kind
> of (dis-)interest in the outcome of the investigation.

Sure.  She was present, with the Orb, as a favor to House Jhereg, not
because she herself was conducting the investigation, or felt any need
to sway its outcome one way or the other.