[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 17 12:08:17 PST 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> On 11/16/06, Philip Hart wrote:
> >

> > Umm, do we know any of the stuff you're using as premise?  Maybe the
> > Jhereg really didn't want Vlad put away;
>
> Why should they care?  He's just a punk n00b, and an Easterner to boot.

They like his style.  They don't want the Empire to mess with their
people. T was a pain in the keister.  V would be dead if they cared.

Really, I suspect that Vlad getting rounded up indicates that he was
a bit sloppy - probably the Jhereg said, Well, if he can talk his way
out fine, he'll have learned his lesson.

> > maybe she's got solid motivation we don't know about;
>
> Such as?

Such as Sethra leaning on her.  Or some solid motivation we don't
know about.

> > maybe she just likes Vlad and doesn't care about the matter.
>
> Well, perhaps.
>
> "Oh!  This Easterner is so *cute*.

Note who she sleeps with (beside the Orb).

> Jhereg inquisitors!  Yoo-hoo!  I would *really* appreciate it
> if the Easterner didn't die.  Thank you *so* much."

Was this not Iorich attorneys?  Anyway, she might well say, Ok,
that's it, he's telling the truth and I gotta go off to my next appt
and the Orb's coming with.

> > And it's not apathy if the matter is trivial.
>
> But that's practically the definition of apathy - considering
> something to be trivial.

Not according to my dictionary, which has as first meaning "Lack of
interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general
importance or appeal"

> In this case, considering the murder of one of the Empire's citizens,
> and a Duke, to be trivial.  Since he was actually only a low-level
> Jhereg who purchased his title like any other flashy commodity, their
> lack of interest presumably stems from there being nothing in it for
> them.

Or nothing not in it.  Maybe it's just not a big thing.