[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 11:56:27 PST 2006

On 11/16/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> > On 11/15/06, Philip Hart wrote:
> > >

> > > Presumably Zerika.
> >
> > Yet this doesn't make sense in the context.  The Empress has no
> > motivation to interfere in the affairs of House Jhereg when those
> > affairs are not in conflict with the Empire.
>
> Umm, do we know any of the stuff you're using as premise?  Maybe the
> Jhereg really didn't want Vlad put away;

Why should they care?  He's just a punk n00b, and an Easterner to boot.

> maybe she's got solid motivation we don't know about;

Such as?

> maybe she just likes Vlad and doesn't care about the matter.

Well, perhaps.

"Oh!  This Easterner is so *cute*.  Much too cute to die!
Jhereg inquisitors!  Yoo-hoo!  I would *really* appreciate it
if the Easterner didn't die.  Thank you *so* much."

> > > I would guess she was not uninterested but instead not
> > > disinterested.  I take it the truth was manifest but unimportant.
> >
> > Well, then she could be described as uninterested in making the truth
> > known to others besides herself.  There is still a definite apathy on
> > her part.
>
> I meant manifest to all concerned.  I bet the court had a good laugh.
>
> And it's not apathy if the matter is trivial.

But that's practically the definition of apathy - considering
something to be trivial.

In this case, considering the murder of one of the Empire's citizens,
and a Duke, to be trivial.  Since he was actually only a low-level
Jhereg who purchased his title like any other flashy commodity, their
lack of interest presumably stems from there being nothing in it for
them.

I think we can also infer that T was pretty much friendless as well.
Or that any friends or relations that might have had an interest in
seeing justice done were poorer than Vlad, and had little or no payola
or other influence to dispense.