[Dragaera] Irresistible Force vs. Immovable Object (Was Re:Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object)

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:52:35 PST 2006

On 11/17/06, Maximilian Wilson  wrote:

> Titles have different meanings
> to different houses, and there's no particular reason to think that
> Jhereg dukes are any scarcer than Orca dukes, which is to say pretty
> common.

Actually, there's some reason to think that Jhereg dukes are not
common.  First of all, there's the point that at least Vlad's title is
apparently associated with a (small) amount of actual property, at
least according to Paresh, and Vlad does not contradict him.  If T's
dukedom was associated with a commensurate amount of property, then
that's a substantial real-estate investment, and might therefore bump
up the importance of a Jhereg duke by quite a lot. Secondly, even if
it's a false-front title, they can't be that common or they wouldn't
be worth as much on the open market.  Jhereg have an at least basic
understanding of supply and demand, and would want to be able to
charge all that the market could bear for even a fictional honor.

Orca dukes are also probably not that common.  Again going by Paresh's
account, Orca titles, while fictional in terms of actual land, are
commensurate with rank, (and presumably tied to pay-grade, for those
Orca not on a ship).  An Orca duke is probably the title given to a
fleet-captain, at the very least, if not an actual admiral.  At any
rate, some rank that's rather high, and relatively rare.

> I should have finished reading your post before responding.

That's OK.  It provoked some interesting thoughts.