[Dragaera] Dragaera Fan Poll - Your favorite one-liner?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 09:53:18 PST 2006

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
> --- Matthew Jennings <attjen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This one:
> >
> > "I don't suppose you have any experience in military reconnaissance?"
> >
> > "I assure you, in the small fishing village I come from it forms the
> > sole
> > topic of conversation."
>
> I enjoyed that one too, though I'd seen an earlier version.
>
> A miner from a Yorkshire coal town put in a late claim for
> compensation for an injury.
>
> Judge: Your client is no doubt aware that /Vigilantibus, et
> not dormientibus, jura subveniunt/?
>
> Lawyer: In Barnsley, m'lud, they speak of little else.
>

> [I think the Latin means "The laws support the wakeful and
> not the sleeping."  Or something else equivalent to "You
> snooze, you lose."]
>
> Jerry Friedman

I think Steve mentioned on his LJ that he "borrowed" this line from a friend... I can see why, though, it's a good one.

Another one I caught while re-reading /Taltos/ the other day:

[cite]

Vlad: I believe your name is Kragar?
Kragar: I believe so, as well. Since we both believe it, we might as well assume it's true.

[/cite]

Vlad doesn't get *all* the good ones...