[Dragaera] Dragaera Digest, Vol 6, Issue 9

Shawn Burns shawnb at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 28 09:26:54 PST 2006

Not always.

Especially not when I've bene watching "Oh God, You Devil" at 6am instead of
sleeping.

Irony, when spoken, receives assistance from non-verbal and verbal cues;
when written it receives attention from contextual cues. Unfortunately, I
was blind to these, whatever they were; and also unfortunately, just
thinking an ironic attitude at someone is not enough to lend an ironic tone
to one's written words. Even sophisticated readers need to be led by the
nose every once in a while; and most especially by an author they don't
know.

  _____