[Dragaera] Speculation on Jhegaala, minor spoilage.

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 14:25:09 PST 2007

From: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
> While learning something about Noish-pa would be interesting, I'm really
> hoping that a trip back East will involve learning something about Vlad's
> mother. When you think about it, it's pretty strange that we know absolutely
> nothing about her. Even if she died in childbirth, you'd think that Elder
> Taltos would have a psi-print or some memento of her that Vlad would have
> grown up with.

I think everyone knows my theory on this, so no comment.

> Of course, we actually know precious little about Vlad's family, so maybe it
> just indicates that Steve hasn't found any "cool" reasons to elaborate. We
> know his father and grandfather's personalities, and I'd say we know
> Noish-pa "personally", but we still don't know either of their names. It's
> just "My father" in relation to his father and I think we've agreed that
> Noish-pa is pretty much just "grandpa", not an actual name. Vlad's ancestry
> is pretty much a cypher other than Verra's remark about him coming from
> peasant stock in Fenario. The only name we have for any of Vlad's ancestors
> is his fraternal grandmother.

We also know his uncle's name (Jani), who was Noish-Pa's brother. Is an uncle an "Ancestor"? hmmmm... Not really, I guess.

Also, remember that when Verra talks, different people hear different things, so when she says he comes from "peasant stock", that's really only what Vlad *hears* her say. The actual meaning behind her statement is filtered by Vlad's perceptions--there may, therefore, be secrets to his ancestry that are obscured behind his own inability to understand.

> My memory is failing me. When did Verra make the remark about being unable
> to manifest in one place "thanks to the actions of one of your countrymen"?
> That was when she told Vlad that he hailed from peasant stock. I fear this
> was in _Issola_, making a revelation in _Jhegalla_ regarding his ancestry
> seem less likely.

/Issola/, Page 90. Just looked it up the other day.