[Dragaera] Verra's knowledge, Vlad's trip East

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Jan 25 13:48:58 PST 2007

I agree that Verra has her ways of knowing things and that knowledge of
Vlad's ancestry would be incidental knowledge. Heck, Noish-pa is one of her
adherents; he taught Vlad to worship her. She wouldn't need to set foot in
Fenario in order to know most everything worth knowing about Vlad's family
line.

>By the way, I think people are accidentally misleading Vincent
>Cisneros about Vlad in the East.  /Brokedown Palace/ has nothing
>about it at all--it takes place before our hero is born.  However,
>Vlad briefly mentions in /Athyra/ or /Issola/ or both (I forget)
>that he'd been to the East.  Beyond that we know nothing.

I admit, that I can't make much sense out of the paragraph quoted above.
Jerry, if you're thinking that anyone on the list suggested that _Brokedown
Palace_ was in any way related to Vlad or is a chronicle of Vlad's
adventures in Fenari, that was a misunderstanding. It's a separate work from
the Vladiad and is only recently recognized to be "canonical" by Verra's
off-handed acknowledgement in _Issola_ of the events related between its
covers. "Canonical" is in the eye of the beholder, though, as the different
versions of the story of Fenarr (as told by Vlad, Paarfi, and Miklos) show.

_Brokedown Palace_ takes place at another time and place than any of the
Vlad books. It's only real connection to them is the setting. The story
itself is a stylized fairy tale, much as Vlad's stories are a stylized
hard-boiled detective story and Khaavren's stories are stylized French
Romances.

_Brokedown Palace_ is noteworthy in relation to the Vladiad because it
provides some basis for speculation about the familial origins of both Vlad
and Cawti. Emphasis on the word "speculation". ;-)