[Dragaera] Courtesy Cracks? (Dzur spoiler, minor)

Will Frank wmfrank at stwing.org
Wed Jan 31 19:12:02 PST 2007

I don't know if this has been pointed out before...I don't even know whether
spoiler protection is still active for _Dzur_, but as the topic is
appropriate, I supply spoiler space out of courtesy...

Phoenix

Dragon

Lyorn

Tiassa

Hawk

Dzur

Issola

Tsalmoth

Vallista

Jhereg

Iorich

Chreotha

Yendi

Orca

Teckla

Jhegaala

Athyra

Phoenix

OK. Now then.

From _Issola_, Prologue:
"The Dzur remain seated when greeting new arrivals to their tables at public
or private houses..."

However, when Telnan arrives at Vlad's table in the beginning of _Dzur_:
"I stood up. If he'd been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of
courtesy, but he was a Dzur so I rose and gave him a half bow."

For that matter, in _Issola_ Vlad also says that it's rude among the Jhereg
to be the first one to a business meeting you called with a superior or
equal, and yet he's waiting for The Demon at the end of the Mellar affair
in _Jhereg_.

The second one is easy to explain: Yes, he was being rude, but really, who
gives a damn? He'd just pulled the entire Jhereg's chestnuts out of the
fire, they can suck it up. Or, of course, the laws of courtesy weren't as
clear in Brust's head when he wrote _Jhereg_, but then, that's no fun as a
reason.

As to the former...all I can suspect is that Vlad thought aping a Dzur's
customs might be considered more rude than not, or possible, he didn't care
about being rude ("if he was a Jhereg I'd have done the courteous thing,
but he was a Dzur, he'd interrupted my klava, and I'd had a very long day,
so courtesy could go jump into the Lesser Sea of Chaos").

Or, of course, it's a slipup on one of the multiple Brusts' parts. Thoughts?

Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmfrank at stwing.org
"Oh, come on! It's Lex flippin' Luthor!" --Superman (Clark
Kent), "Destroyer"