[Dragaera] Courtesy Cracks? (Dzur spoiler, minor)

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 20:30:34 PST 2007

Will Frank wrote:
> I don't know if this has been pointed out before...I don't even know whether
> spoiler protection is still active for _Dzur_, but as the topic is
> appropriate, I supply spoiler space out of courtesy...
>
> Phoenix
>
> Dragon
>
> Lyorn
>
> Tiassa
>
> Hawk
>
> Dzur
>
> Issola
>
> Tsalmoth
>
> Vallista
>
> Jhereg
>
> Iorich
>
> Chreotha
>
> Yendi
>
> Orca
>
> Teckla
>
> Jhegaala
>
> Athyra
>
> Phoenix
>
> OK. Now then.
>
> >From _Issola_, Prologue:
> "The Dzur remain seated when greeting new arrivals to their tables at public
> or private houses..."
>
> However, when Telnan arrives at Vlad's table in the beginning of _Dzur_:
> "I stood up. If he'd been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of
> courtesy, but he was a Dzur so I rose and gave him a half bow."

"If he had been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of courtesy, but
he was a Dzur..."

So Vlad, therefore, perhaps felt no need to be courteous? Seems likely.

> For that matter, in _Issola_ Vlad also says that it's rude among the Jhereg
> to be the first one to a business meeting you called with a superior or
> equal, and yet he's waiting for The Demon at the end of the Mellar affair
> in _Jhereg_.
>
> The second one is easy to explain: Yes, he was being rude, but really, who
> gives a damn? He'd just pulled the entire Jhereg's chestnuts out of the
> fire, they can suck it up.
Not only "who gives a damn", but also, Vlad at this point was more
concerned that The Demon might
still be trying to kill him, so this was more a practical move to ensure
self-preservation. Insulting The
Demon at the same time was just a fringe benefit.

You'll note that The Demon does show up second during their first
meeting, thus holding to the custom.

> Or, of course, it's a slipup on one of the multiple Brusts' parts. Thoughts?

Another theory might be that Vlad's comments in the foreword to /Issola/
are deliberately misleading. Seeing
the strife he'd just been through, perhaps he felt that anyone using
examples of his behavior in any serious way
to avoid being discourteous probably deserved whatever they got.