[Dragaera] Courtesy Cracks? (Dzur spoiler, minor)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:24:22 PST 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> Will Frank wrote:
> > Phoenix
> > Dragon
> > Lyorn
> > Tiassa
> > Hawk
> > Dzur
> > Issola
> > Tsalmoth
> > Vallista
> > Jhereg
> > Iorich
> > Chreotha
> > Yendi
> > Orca
> > Teckla
> > Jhegaala
> > Athyra
> > Phoenix

> > "The Dzur remain seated when greeting new arrivals to their tables at public
> > or private houses..."
> >
> > However, when Telnan arrives at Vlad's table in the beginning of _Dzur_:
> > "I stood up. If he'd been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of
> > courtesy, but he was a Dzur so I rose and gave him a half bow."
>
> "If he had been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of courtesy, but
> he was a Dzur..."
>
> So Vlad, therefore, perhaps felt no need to be courteous? Seems likely.

Seems to me being discourteous would be entirely out of character,
esp. given the setting and recent events.

> Another theory might be that Vlad's comments in the foreword to /Issola/
> are deliberately misleading.

I think this contradicts the idea that Vlad talks to the box in the firm
belief that no one he knows will ever know what he says.  He might well
change facts to make the story better, but altering Dzur customs so the
reader who meets a Dzur will have better luck keeping things peaceable
than him seems like a very very bad plan.