[Dragaera] Courtesy Cracks? (Dzur spoiler, minor)

Jeremy Tassoff kublakhan73 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 1 06:29:20 PST 2007

> Will Frank wrote:> > I don't know if this has been pointed out before...I don't even know whether > > spoiler protection is still active for _Dzur_, but as the topic is > > appropriate, I supply spoiler space out of courtesy...> >> > Phoenix> >> > Dragon> >> > Lyorn> >> > Tiassa> >> > Hawk> >> > Dzur> >> > Issola> >> > Tsalmoth> >> > Vallista> >> > Jhereg> >> > Iorich> >> > Chreotha> >> > Yendi> >> > Orca> >> > Teckla> >> > Jhegaala> >> > Athyra> >> > Phoenix> >> > >From _Issola_, Prologue:> > "The Dzur remain seated when greeting new arrivals to their tables at public > > or private houses..."> >> > However, when Telnan arrives at Vlad's table in the beginning of _Dzur_:> > "I stood up. If he'd been a Jhereg, I'd have remained seated, out of > > courtesy, but he was a Dzur so I rose and gave him a half bow."

> So Vlad, therefore, perhaps felt no need to be courteous? Seems likely.
I don't think he's implying lack of courtesy, quite the opposite in fact. He's pointing out the differences in what is considered courteous by different houses. It is an extension of Vlad's conversation with Lady Teldra in _Issola_ regarding Vlad's instincts as to what behavior is appropriate to a given situation.

It is considered rude by a Dzur for someone to remain seated when greeting new arrivals; you may be concealing a weapon under the table. However, a Jhereg would consider it rude if you stand up; you may be giving yourself freedom of movement in order to attack. (does anyone else see a pattern here?)

Had the new arrival been a Jhereg, he would have courteously remained seated per their custom. Since Telnan is a Dzur rather than a Jhereg, he observed a different standard of courtesy and rose and gave a half bow

One who indulges in gluttony is a glutton. A person who commits a felony is a felon...God is an iron. - Spider Robinson